Friday, September 5, 2008

The New David in my Life

Recently I’ve discovered a new author…okay, he’s not new and he’s not even new to me but I’ll call him new because I just started reading him and I love him. Every time I’d see one of his books I’d grin because he reminded me of some of my New York friends who loved him but would also say things like, “I don’t read fiction…” which is fine for them—not so fine for me. I can be a grown-up and read non-fiction from time to time but how much do I love getting wrapped up in another world or story that takes me away from the pathetic existence of my life. Anyway, I recently bought my first David Sedaris and love love love it. I read Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim first and then Me Talk Pretty One Day and now I’m in the middle of Naked. They are hilarious essays and short stories pulled from his life and even though some of them are somewhat tragic for the most part they make me laugh out loud and I especially love reading about his experiences in New York. On page 131 of Me Talk Pretty he describes a situation that I was literally in Christmas 2006..."The crowds were such that you could pick your feet off the ground and be carried for blocks in either direction." Ahhhhh the week between Christmas and New Years in New York Bloody City.

1 comment:

Tina W said...

Seriously, the chapter on "the rooster" in Me Talk Pretty is one of my favorites of all time. Laughed out loud and then had a little tear at the end.