Friday, September 5, 2008

The Bermuda Rectangle

I love where I live. I love that it is five minutes from work. I love that it is pretty and quiet (mostly) and I love that it is all mine. One thing however that I do not love. Even before I moved to this neighborhood I knew there was a problem. Anytime I drove down 1600 North my music would “disappear” and some nasty country or otherwise ugly music would be “picked up” on the iPod in my car. I would just turn off the music until I reached 1200 West—the safe place and then it would be fine. However, as I now live in this neighborhood I’ve discovered that it isn’t just 1600 North with the problem. I live in the middle of the Bermuda Rectangle. On State Street between 1600 North and 200 South in Lindon and all the way to 1200 West the music “disappears”. I have no idea what kind of strong signal is blocking out my stuff but it must be strong to carry that far. Sometimes I play a game where I try to sneak up on the horrible music by getting off the freeway at 1600 North and going up Geneva to 200 South and coming in the back way…it occasionally gives me a few extra seconds to listen to my music rather than the crap in my neighborhood. One time I nearly got to the nursery next door before being assaulted by the “noise”. Unfortunately, this isn’t the only place where it happens. Occasionally when driving down State I have moments driving next to a random mini van or whatever where I have to listen to Toy Story or whatever dumb Disney movie the kids are watching. The other day I got stuck listening to some techno music for longer than I wanted (longer than one second is longer than I wanted) and sometimes I get bugged but really it makes me giggle because I’m E-V-I-L and hope that one day when I’m driving past someone else that they might be forced to listen to “my music”—you know the Spring Awakening soundtrack or maybe some of my “angry music” as Red Head Chrissy calls it. Yup, that’s it. I’m mean and evil and vindictive and right now I live in the Bermuda Rectangle also known as North Orem.

No comments: