Friday, January 6, 2012

Looking Forward Not Back

Every blogger on earth has done the same thing this week but I think it will help me have some accountability to have my thoughts and desires spelled out on the interwebs.






Before I moved and had a long commute all of my super important thinking time was done while blow drying my hair. Now during drive time each morning I have time to think about the day and get ready for what needs to be done. Tuesday morning when I arrived at work I was pumped up and perkier than I've been in ages (just ask Z). All last weekend everyone was talking about how great 2o11 was and all the awesome things that happened to them. I half heartedly agreed but then during my drive on Tuesday morning I realized that 2011 mostly sucked for me. Don't get me wrong some amazingly wonderful things happened but overall I'd like to not have a repeat of last year. Which got me thinking about the best way to make that change was to start off 2012 with a bang and to just be in a good mood. On Tuesday that worked. Wednesday for about 1/2 the day I was perky and excited and then by Thursday I bordering on tears and by Friday I was obviously upset with multiple colleagues I don't care for and someone I actually like. A Lot. I know it is so much more than just deciding to be in a good mood. There are a zillion factors that go into the moods and emotions of someone such as myself but I really truly want to be a better, happier, healthier, kinder person and I want to spend the rest of this year working towards that goal. How am I going to do that and how am I going to measure my progress? I'm not entirely sure about the last one but I know that I've discovered some secrets that truly do help:






Get lots of sleep -- this one is hard for me because there's so many other things I'd rather be doing than sleeping especially since Santa brought me an AppleTV. Not too much sleep because then I'm depressed but just enough that I feel like a human being at 5 a.m. when the alarm goes off and tells me it is time to work out.






Eat right -- this isn't just about losing weight. This is about the unfortunate self-loathing that comes when I do not eat right. I've hired a trainer / nutritionist and she's my hero. She's hilarious, motivating and super strict. She hit the nail on the head the day that I e-mailed her "HELP--I'm eating everything in sight". Within minutes she responded with, "Angie put down the food and step away. If you had one flat tire on your car would you puncture the other three?" Um...no.






Exercize -- see above. It is not about losing weight. It is about burning off all the "I Hate Everyone Stress" and helps me stay centered. Also, if I lift weights I get to have an ice cream cone. Bonus!






Blog more -- this is incredibly theraputic and helpful. Plus, I no longer work with MBHW, AJ, LRH, SK or the Bish so it's all good and I can say whatever.






Religiously devour each and every word from Eleni -- her blog has truly changed my life. She's brutal and hilarious and the honest version of me in a 30 year old Greek form. She says things I always think but have been terrified to say out loud. I worship her and when I wake up, check my E-mail and have an update from her I really do jump out of bed in anticipation of anything she has to say. Here's her link http://hope.gr/. Everyone should read her regardless of their relationship status.






Stop hating the bulk of 9 hours out of every single work day. How do I change this? Well, there's some obvious ways but for now I'd like to focus on changing some things inside myself to help me hate the rest a lot less.






Take care of me -- this is loaded. It is huge. I need to be surrounded by people who love me. Not just people who need me but people who truly care about me and think about me and want to know who the real me is. I'm really done pretending to be someone else. I want to figure out who I am and be the best version of myself. Every day in every way try to be better.




Buy local -- I tried this for Christmas this year and it was great. I would love to do 100% local but I don't believe it is possible given how much I heart Amazon.com and iTunes. I am going to do everything I can do buy local and support my neighbors.




Stop falling for unavailable and inappropriate men. Yeah more to come but I'm trying match.com this year and it is going to be awesome! I may start a private blog for stories associated with my new dating life.





Best wishes to everyone in my life. Those I know and those I don't but well wishes for a very happy 2012! We can do it!







1 comment:

Wendi said...

Those are good goals, Ang. I hope this year is a great one for you as you work to achieve them. I lost 31 pounds last year through eating better and exercise-- but, I agree that there is much more to those things than just losing weight. I think they've helped me emotionally too. The two small things that I've started to do this year are floss my teeth every evening and make my bed every morning. And I made some great progress starting in May of last year, so I plan to keep building on that progress. Good luck to both of us! :)