Friday, January 20, 2012

Just a Hug

Yesterday I had a meeting with a new client who had been very difficult and when I stuck out my hand for her to shake she grabbed and hugged me and then said, "I had to hug you after going all Exorcist on you yesterday". As I was leaving the room the client laughed again about hugging me and said, "It is a good thing you aren't a hug-a-phobe". I smiled and told her it was nice to meet her. Later my colleague said, "Wow, I know you are a hug-a-phobe. That must have killed you". This reminded me of a girl trip a few months ago when we were talking about how Steph can't stand to be hugged and I started giggling ...

Steph: Why are you laughing?
Ang: Cause I used to be you.
Steph: What changed?

I used to be the kid in the sandbox who didn't like to be touched. Everyone knew. My friends. My family. That kid grew into an adult that still didn't like to be touched but who knew that there were certain circumstances and/or people that required hugs. One of my worst memories was from college when one of my friends was having a crying meltdown and I gave her a comfort hug. Then the next day I heard her telling people, "Angie hugged me. She must have been really worried about me because she doesn't like to touch people". I will probably never forget that feeling I had thinking that I was defective and broken. So, what changed? A couple of things but mostly I'm part of a group of friends that are always hugging. It never ever bothered me--not even the first time. Everyone hugs: friends, complete strangers, everyone. It became so normal that one day at Craft Sabbath I ran into a friend from the salon where I go and I and hugged her. I hugged her! And it was totally normal. Made me start thinking "normal people do this" "normal people aren't afraid to be touched". Huh. Maybe I'm morphed into more of a normal person. After all it is just a hug.

4 comments:

Wendi said...

I'm always so thankful when I can see that I've made progress in my life. Congratulations on yours. Consider yourself hugged by me. :)

kacee said...

That hug-hating stuff has totally rubbed off on me - I'm constantly finding myself in awkward hugging sitches. Your all growed up now and I'm abnormal! Eeks!

Joe. said...

Hugging is a great way to get the affection you need but you can't just get through conversation. You just inspired me to go hug someone right now :D

Z said...

Free Gropes for Everyone!!! 9Am I taking it too far?)