Saturday, May 9, 2009

All American Reject

Tonight I got stood up. Not a travesty. Not a big deal. Not even entirely a surprise--I think if I'm counting accurately this is strike 4 or 5 for this person. In baseball a person gets 3 strikes and then they are out. I am annoyed for all of the obvious reasons but also because I cut short my "Girls Day" so that I could run home and meet this friend. At what point do we get 'used' to rejection? I'm not just talking about romantic relationships. There are many ways to get rejected: at work, with friends, family, romantically, etc. etc. etc. Ironically, I've discussed this same topic with the Stander Upper but I don't think this person thinks of it as actually standing me up. I tried a couple of other friends but it was too late to make plans with people on a Saturday night so I ended up taking a 'mini road trip' and driving up the canyon to this cute little place that serves amazing dessert. Now, I'm home, in my PJ's, sitting on the sofa, getting ready to eat my cake and watch one of my favorite movies--Singles. Just thinking about this movie makes me grin. So many good quotes. So many great relationshipy lines: "Have fun, stay single"; "I'm 23. Remember how old 23 seemed when you were little? I thought people would be traveling in air locks and I would have five kids. Here I am, 23, things are basically the same"; "I think time is running out to do something truly bizarre. By 25 bizarre seems immature..."; "I just happened to be nowhere near your neighborhood"; "That's a very nice hat you're wearing...and I don't mean it in an Eddie Haskell kind of a way"; and my all time favorite, "If I had a personal relationship with God I would ask him to create this girl".

Speaking of rejection, today I found out that my sweet, wonderful, adorable friend LJ got dumped last week by her very long term boyfriend. She's been having a really rough time and wasn't able to come out with us today--I really just want to give her the biggest hug, instead I'm making her a "Boys Suck" CD Mix--mostly of 'Girl Power' songs (thanks, Kimmie). I love some of these songs and even though they can't heal a broken heart they can help you feel a little bit better and even smile occasionally.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

I'm sorry, Ang. No one should ever have to get used to rejection. I hope you enjoy watching your movie and listening to your girl power tunes.

P.S. Wish me luck on teaching my first RS lesson in probably 15 years--it's on persecution (for Mother's Day). Interesting topic, huh?! :)

P.S. My word verification word is "theromom"

kacee said...

Sorry for the stand-up. I, uh, know this guy thats like 6'11 and is extremely fond of you. Want me to give him a call? Have him take care of it?

We would of called you 'cept we just painted so it would of been work. Work on Saturday is not fun...unless of course it is for a FREAKING cute scrapbook room! {you gotta come see!}

Love you!

Kimmietaz said...

Sorry about your ditch--you should have called. You could have played with me and my crowd, but we didn't do killer dessert. You may have been better off :). The compilation of 'Girl Power' songs has grown since we burned yours, so should you need further reinforcements, just let me know. Hope all is well with you.