Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Parable of the Red Sweater

Last week at The GH we had a Case Study day on being able to accept compliments. I know. I know. Sounds dumb and to a degree it was but after a half hour or so of listening to Scottie and hearing from everyone else he had us to a little exercise where we had to write out a situation in which we received a compliment and how we accepted it. Normally, I'd probably have a hard time with the exercise but my hair looked good that day so I was okay jotting down some notes in case he called on me. Thankfully, he didn't call on me but the whole thing reminded me of something I'd like to call The Parable of the Red Sweater. I love red. A lot. And I used to have this amazing red sweater. It was my favorite article of clothing (wish I knew what happened to it...) and anytime something BIG would come up my friend Mandy would remind me to wear the red sweater. One particular big event was the next night (big, huge night) and Mandy once again reminded me to make sure I wore the red sweater.

Mandy: Make sure you wear the red sweater tomorrow.
Ang: Really, why the red one?
Mandy: because you look great in it and you know you do. You act like a completely different person when you wear that sweater--you NEED to wear it tomorrow night.

So, I wore the red sweater and noticed for the first time that I did act like a different person and had a very successful, very necessary evening of closure. I need to remember to act as if I'm wearing the red sweater every day. Every day is red sweater day. Every day.

2 comments:

Cali said...

You do look fantastic in red. :)

Wendi said...

This post is awesome. Thanks! :)