Saturday, June 27, 2009

ComeUndone.GirlsOnFilm.TheReflex.HungryLikeTheWolf

On Wednesday one of my friends told us that "our" boyfriend John Taylor from Duran Duran was going to be on Samantha Who. I never watch that show but set the DVR so I could see if my boyfriend still looks as great as he did when we were both a lot younger. All week my friends and I compared sightings and stories of running into John and Simon--from Soho to Studio City. I was enjoying the stories but feeling bad about how I live in Never Never Land and never had a John or Simon sighting but then I remembered my own John sighting. It was 1994 or 1995 (Kimmie...which one?) and I remember John playing the bass and staring across a field and looking into my eyes. No, I'm not a crazy person. Okay, I am a crazy person but what girl hasn't fantasized about falling for a rock star? Whether it was Bruce or John or George or Heyward or even Jon Bon Jovi there's something that happens to a girl when she listens to the song that brings back all the memories of youth and happiness and of a time when life was a lot less dreadful. Back to a time when we had posters on our wall of our favorite rock stars and sat on the floor with our girlfriends and listened to the same song over and over and over--yeah, that could have been last week for me. Or, even somewhat recently, horribly embarrassing yourself with Brandon Flowers' sister. Don't ever get in an argument with a rock star's sister...you'll regret it forever.

Why is it that there is no Duran Duran on my iPod? I think I need to download some music, turn out the lights and pretend that it is 1986 and that my lover is singing to me. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

P.S. Johnny, you look amazing!

5 comments:

Dani said...

haha, what was the argument with Brandon's sister about?

Z said...

HEYWARD! God bless you for throwing himin there. Not one person said anything about my Haircut 100 post - I think it frightened people.

Also the best Duran Duran song is 'Serious' followed closely by 'New Moon on Monday'. And that band has aged ridiculously well! Simon is a fox.

Valerie said...

Hey, this is Stommel's sister, Michelle. I just have to quit lurking and leave a comment here: John Taylor... I wrote him a letter and invited him to my Jr. Prom!! LOVE HIM!!! I wall papered my bedroom with Duran Duran. **heavy sigh**

Kimmietaz said...

It was 1995, sweet pea (and FAR too long ago!). And I have the DEFINITIVE Duran Duran collection that you're welcome to rip anytime.

Jess said...

I let Ruby listen to Duran Duran the other day cause I figured she needed a good dose of 80s. Happy to report she loved it. :)