Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Think Before You Speak

This has been something of a struggle for me for years. I often say things out loud before I think through the repercussion's of what I'm saying and/or who might be listening. Today at work we received the following E-mail:

e⋅piph⋅a⋅ny
   /ɪˈpɪf ə ni/
Show Spelled Pronunciation [i-pif-uh-nee] Show IPA
–noun, plural -nies.

3.
a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.

4.
a literary work or section of a work presenting, usually symbolically, such a moment of revelation and insight.


Having my speaking before thinking problem I screamed out, "Who in the hell didn't know what epiphany meant?" and then received the following IM from our IT guy, "My thoughts exactly." I'm sure I've offended someone and really should keep my trap shut, eh? Yeah, probably not.

2 comments:

Cali said...

Ha ha. I emailed the guy back and said,

"Thanks for the REVELATION.

1. the act of revealing or disclosing; disclosure.
2. something revealed or disclosed, esp. a striking disclosure, as of something not before realized. "

DUH

Wendi said...

These comments tonight are hilarious. :D I love the "revelation" one above mine. And I often speak before I think too--as you well know, Ang. :)