Saturday, August 22, 2009

Project Redemption: Cupcake Chapter

Why are they so ugly? What the heck?

A few months ago I hosted a baby shower for a good friend of mine. I made all the food myself and had a HUGE disaster with the cupcakes. That night I actually made two batches because batch one had little chunks of something and had to be thrown away. I even had to call Red Headed Chrissy to come over and save me with more milk. Batch two was also a disaster but because of the late hour and some serious delirium I actually served them at the shower. I'm still embarrassed about it and can't believe that I would serve those cupcakes. Well, my friend's mother-in-law who is so one of my favorite people and also ridiculously nice asked me if I had brought my "cute blue cupcakes" to the baby blessing luncheon. Um, no. I hated that sweet Shellee thought that I thought that those cupcakes were even remotely acceptable so I decided to come up with Project Redemption Cupcakes. Last Sunday I got up, whipped up a batch of Amy's yellow cake and put them in the oven to bake while I worked on the frosting. I like the cake density of Amy's recipes and wanted these to be special. Yeah, I had to throw all three dozen away and run to the store for more flour -- how is it that I could be out of flour? After I got home I did what I do best and made a batch of my normal cupcakes which did turn out well. I delivered them to my friend and I'm pretty sure they enjoyed them. I did learn a couple of things during my little project:

*Redemption does not come easy but it is totally worth it.

*Don't ever try a new recipe when it is for something important. Duh.

No comments: