Friday, November 16, 2012

I'm Not Broken - Just a Tiny Bit Bruised!

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

A few weeks ago I was with my Iusedtowishhewasmyboyfriend and we were talking about relationships and stuff. We are both pretty much scared to death of commitment and of being hurt and he was telling me about a couple he knows who has been in a committed monogomous relationship for 10 years. They are not married nor do they live together but they spend most of their free time together and are completely in love. My Iusedtowishhewasmyboyfriend mentioned that they get a lot of grief from family and friends for not taking that next step. I listened intently and looked up and said, "That sounds like heaven to me". In the next few days I shared this with several people but finally had to stop because of the beatings I was taking. For instance this is just a bit of what my "friends" said to me:

Ew, I don't want that!
Why would you want that?
What is WRONG with you?
That is so messed up, Ang!

and my all time favorite:

YOU ARE SO BROKEN!

Doesn't anyone have a filter? I don't want people to lie to my face but really, "YOU ARE SO BROKEN" is mean and hurtful. I did have one response to my anecdote that didn't make me want to crawl into a hole and die and it was from the guy I was seeing at the time. He looked at me and nodded and said, "I totally understand why that appeals to you."

I'm really not broken but I am bruised and even though I realize this isn't the ideal situation for everyone and probably isn't actually the ideal situation for me it does make some sense. To me.

That's all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, that is MY ideal situation. No commitments, expectations, pressures, obligations. Just being in love and choosing to keep it that way. I totally get that & I agree with you 100%.

I don't think it's broken, it's just what you'd prefer. There are people out there who have the same preferences as you, even if the people in your immediate surroundings don't agree.

Wendi said...

I'm sorry that people hurt your feelings when you shared that with them. We all have to figure out what kind of relationship works for us and that is different for everyone. I hope you have a great weekend. :)

sonya d said...

I'm sure I said something along the lines of "I totally get that."