Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Hell

The other day I was trying to set up a time to get together with a guy I met online and we were having trouble making our schedules connect - it is a lot harder than it would seem - I can't imagine how much harder if I had to deal with shuffling kids, too. I suggested Thursday night and he replied with "That's THANKSGIVING. No way!" and one more time I was reminded why I try to go out of town for this bloody holiday. Don't get me wrong I love me some time off from work and I love me even more some Thanksgiving food. It is my favoritest food of the year but the rest of the weekend can go to Hell.

Normal families spend the weekend together. Normal families play games and go to movies and have a lovely time. Here's what will happen at Casa Millet - dinner at 4 p.m. I will go over a few hours early and help my mom while the boys sit on their asses and watch football. Then we will eat, someone will cry (sure hope it isn't me), someone will get mad (let's be honest it will be me) and some kid will get grounded (also, really hope it isn't me). We will finish eating and the boys will commence sitting on their asses and watch more freaking (not the word I'm thinking right now) football while Shauna and I spend an hour cleaning up. And then I will drive home and spend the rest of the weekend alone because everyone I know is spending the weekend with their families - playing games and going to the movie and eating their faces off.

Can someone please put an event on their calendar to remind *translate: force* me to make out-of-town plans for Thanksgiving. I'd do it but I'll think "No, it's okay. It will be different..." and it won't and I'll be writing this same blog entry.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

I'm not a fan of Thanksgiving family dinners either. However, this year, we will have it at our house with my husband's mom and his brother's family, which includes their cute almost one year old son. My husband will do most of the cooking. And I will do all the dishes and take pictures of my cute nephew. Also, since I have reached my goal of losing 46 pounds over the past two years, I'm going to allow myself to really enjoy the pumpkin pie that my mother-in-law will be making. Yay! I hope it turns out better than it has in the past for you. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm alone for Thanksgiving today too. And my dinner consists of a ham sandwhich and strawberry gummies. Yum.

I'll be alone for Christmas too but I'm hoping to stay sane and look at it like this: ME TIME. Movies, reading, gym (if I feel like it), exploring, and sleeping. S.O.'s and/or kids are either time and energy consuming or a giant pain in the ass.

However it goes for you I hope there is some happy-ness. You are kick-ass and I love ya.

sonya d said...

I feel the same, so let's plan something amazing for next year!