Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Best of 2009

It is that time of year--as per usual--a lot of this isn't "new" but it's all stuff I've loved throughout 2009. These are in no particular order...

Music:
An Audience with the Pope--Elbow
Hell Bent--Kenna
Time Lapse Lifeline--Maria Taylor
Katherine Kiss Me--Franz
Smile--Lily Allen (although honestly I love the Glee version better...)
Magic's in the Makeup--No Doubt
There's a Light that Never Goes Out/Frankly Mr. Shankly--The Smiths
Beat It/Billie Jean--Michael Jackson
Sun Red Sky Blue/Phantom Always--Kenna
Cinema Italiano--Kate Hudson from Nine
Us--Regina Spektor
Love Sex Magic--Ciara
Should Be Loved--Blue October
Paralyzer--Finger Eleven
There Goes the Fear--Doves
Be Ok--Ingrid Michaelson
True Affection--The Blow
Empire State of Mind--Jay-Z and Alicia Keys
Walking on a Dream--Empire of the Sun

Biggest surprise of late 2009--when I'm super stressed at work (all the time) listening to Belle and Sebastian calms me down when in normal situations they make me want to peel off my skin and puncture my eardrums. Wacky!

TV:
Friday Night Lights--each week it gets better and better. How many times during seasons three and four did I mutter the words, "I wish Tammy was my mom..." She always knows exactly what to say in every single situation.
Mad Men--How is it possible to hate someone more and more each week and yet still be watching the best of television? Tractor ride, anyone?
Big Bang Theory--two words: Sheldon and Penny. Their non-sexual chemistry gets funnier and funnier each week.
NCIS--Love me some McGee. Tony is one big fat cliche of every guy I hate.
Greek--Evan or Cappie?
Glee--singing, dancing, high school angst and fake pregnancies--Genius!
Bones Season 2--makes me want to change my name to Angela Montenegro.
Weeds Season 1, 2---Ahhhh, Agrestic. Reminds me so much of a little community 30 minutes north of me.

Biggest surprise of 2009: Modern Family--I hate the concept of the family sitcom but this one makes me grin just thinking about it. Can't wait to see what happens in 2010. Biggest disappointment of 2009: The Office. I'm pretty much done.

Movies:
Precious
500 Days of Summer
Away We Go
The Hangover
Up in the Air
This is It
Whip It
Bright Star
Up
North & South (BBC Version)

Books:
Shelter Me--Juliette Fay
The Help--Kathryn Stockett
Stargirl--Jerry Spinelli
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet--Jamie Ford
Weight of Silence--Heather Gudenkauf
Same Kind of Different as Me--Ron Hall
Glass Castle--Jeannette Walls
The Chosen--Chaim Potok
Revolutionary Road--Richard Yates
Plain Truth--Jodi Picoult

As a whole 2009 was not a good year for me but in looking back I can say that I feel good about the last few months and about prospects for a great 2010. The end of 2009 brought about a great deal of reflection about my life and where I want to be and what I want to be doing for my future. Certain books, movies and songs definitely helped in the process. I did read some fantastic books and loved some incredible music all of which makes me want to be a better person. Hell Bent is by far my favorite song by my new favorite band. Just thinking about the You Tube clay mation video of Hell Bent gives me the chills.

Three cheers for a great year in 2010.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

Happy New Year, Ang! I hope it will be a better year for BOTH of us!! :)

Cali said...

2010 will be AWESOME!! Know why? Because YOU'RE AWESOME!!

I seriously love Empire State of Mind.

Z said...

I am so proud of the multiple influences I've had on this list.