Sunday, October 11, 2009

Single Girl. Lives Alone. You Figure Stuff Out.

A few weeks ago while helping a friend set up for her housewarming party I found her sister in one of the rooms having trouble opening a fold out table and I looked at it for a second and popped it open.

Emily: How did you do that?
Angie: Single Girl. Lives Alone. You figure stuff out.
Emily: Hmmm. That's probably true.

Not probably true. Absolutely 100% true. Lately I've had several experiences "figuring things out" including swallowing lots of pride and finding options for my living predicament, changing the filter in my furnace and popping open that table. Pretty much when you are a single girl living alone you spend a lot of time figuring things out--you have to--the only other option is curling up in a ball and giving up. I don't like asking for help. I'm not good at it and it isn't exactly because I don't trust people. It's because I have to be independent. I have to figure stuff out and make millions of decisions everyday--some tiny--some not so tiny just to get through each day. I know people who can't decide without Spousal approval what outfit to wear, lipstick to buy or what to eat for lunch. I don't want to be alone but I definitely do not want to be that girl.